In furthering our mission of increasing and retaining the number of individuals choosing the transit field as a career, the APTF will award a minimum of twenty scholarships, ranging from $2,500 to $5,000 each, to college students or transit professionals who are interested in pursuing or advancing in a career in the public transportation industry.
Awards cover the academic year, beginning in the fall 2017 semester, and assist with tuition costs or other educational expenses.
- Essay: “What segment of the public transportation industry interests you, and why?” (1,000 words maximum)
- Three letters of recommendation: Provide letters of recommendation that describe why the individuals think you are qualified for this scholarship. Letters should address your commitment, demonstrated interest, and career goals in public transportation. Be sure they include their name, address, and telephone number. Recommendations must not be solicited from relatives.
- Statement of Financial Need (500-word maximum): explain your financial need, including any deficits in a financial aid package, family income and personal need (personal need may also include special circumstances, such as personal hardship or financial difficulty that contributes to the applicant’s financial need).
- School Transcripts documenting good academic standing: May use unofficial transcripts, however, document must show applicant name, number of credits, grades and courses completed.
- Verification of enrollment for the 2017 fall semester: letter from school; course schedule can also serve as proof of enrollment)
- Fee Schedule: from your college/university for the academic year
- APTA Sponsorship Form: completed with sponsor signature
All applications must be submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m. (eastern time) on Friday, June 16, 2017.